Governors play a very active part in school life. The Governor role is varied, challenging and fulfilling, which needs a number of important skills to help Governors to discharge their statutory duties.
Governors provide support and challenge to the school to ensure the very best is achieved for the pupils and families that form the school community. Each Governor is assigned to subject areas. Literacy and Mathematics Subject Leaders meet with Designated Governors to discuss how their subject is being managed.
The Governing Body of Backworth Park Primary has a strong focus on its 3 core strategic functions:
The Governing Body is made up of Co-opted, Local Authority, Staff and Parent Governors. Full Governing Body meetings are held each Half Term. Governors are currently reviewing the Sub-Committee Structure for the school. Specific Sub-Committees are also convened as required, such as to investigate issues relating to disciplinary or complaints matters. Governors are invited to join staff for relevant training and also to join us for all assemblies, performances and special events.
Key Issues during 2016/17
· Raising Achievement
· New building
· Staffing requirements
Impact on School Improvement
· Moving into 2017/18, the Governors are aware of the data picture across school and are aware that standards must improve. To this end, they have appointed an NLE as Headteacher to ensure that the school now has a clear Action Plan for improvement which will be carefully monitored ensuring that all staff will have appropriate opportunities to develop teaching and learning. The Governors have taken some decisive actions since the beginning of September:
· Appointment of NLE for 2.5 days each week as Headteacher to lead change
· Recruitment of a new teacher to create morning classes of pure year groups
· Health and Safety Audit with actions to be completed
· Purchase of a system to improve the recording and monitoring of all incidents related to protection and safeguarding of children
· Purchase of Accelerated Reader, an evidenced-based approach to reading, to secure reading improvements
· Purchase of four Interactive Televisions to support engagement in lessons
Governors are now clear about the key issues across school which must be addressed and , along with the Local Authority, endorse the actions which now must be taken over this academic year.
Strategic Planning for the Future
· The school will physically move building to a new site which will open in September 2018. The Governors intend that the correct decisions will be made to ensure that progress continues and that this will be reflected in outcomes for children as well as being recognised through any external monitoring.
Following some recent changes within the Governing Body membership, there are some current vacancies, which the Governors are keen to fill.
If you are interested in becoming a Governor at our school, please contact Ms Franklin, Office Manager, on 0191 2008355 , to find out if there any current vacancies and to be given details of who to contact in Governor Services for further information. A variety of training is offered by the Local Authority.