PE & Sports Premium Funding
At Backworth Park Primary, we provide a Physical Education programme covering Games, Gymnastics, Swimming, Dance and Athletics in line with the National Curriculum requirements, which enables our children to develop their movement, skills, balance and co-ordination, as well as their self-confidence and resilience to improve.
Through cross-curricular links, we also seek to develop our children's awareness of health-related issues such as the need for exercise, health living and eating, emotional well-being and tackling obesity.
Sports Premium: Since 2013/14, like all Primary schools, Backworth Park has received ring-fenced funding to spend on making additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of sport and PE provision in school.
The aims of the funding are to ensure all children have opportunities to:
Lead healthy lifestyles
Enjoy Physical Education and Sport in schools
Experience high quality Physical Education and Sport
Compete against their peers
Achieve Sporting Excellence
Schools choose how to spend the Sports Premium Funding to achieve these aims; the school received just above £8,000 in 2015/16; the use of funding was particularly focussed on increased pupil enjoyment and participation within PE curriculum time at school and at borough events.
- Buying into a North Tyneside PE and Sport Service Level Agreement (SLA): This provided access to professional development opportunities for staff and to organised borough-wide competitive events for pupils.
- Entering into SLA with George Stephenson High School: A Lead Sports Teacher supported the delivery of KS2 PE lessons and assist staff in professional development across the school year.
- Engaging in opportunities for pupils to access competition, including use of funding for hire of transport to/from organised events: During their time at BPPS, all children have the opportunity to develop their competitive skills by engaging in both inter and intra school Competitions and Festivals. The school accessed competition opportunities with other borough schools; as appropriate to their age, children experience a competition element within lessons as appropriate to their age and, where possible, between classes. All pupils also participate in a School Sports Event for parents. In Nursery this takes the form of a more traditional Sports Morning, where team races are undertaken. In main school, mixed teams of children take part in a carousel of activities which involve the use of a range of PE skills. Year 6 children are Team Leaders, ensuring that their team completes all activities safely and to the best of their abilities. Transport costs have been covered for our children to enjoy competing with other local schools across North Tyneside, in events such as the Skipping and Dance Festivals, as well as Multi-Skills, Cricket, Athletics and Badminton Tournaments and in the Shiremoor Treat Sports Events. Funding has also subsidised swimming transport costs, as well as associated transport and staff cover costs for the Robinwood Outdoor Activity Centre Residential Visit.
- Engagement of external coaching services both within/after school time: A range of providers, such as the Newcastle United Football Foundation, 'Hoops for Health' project and Chance to Shine Cricket, KidzGetFit have provided enrichment PE opportunities within curriculum time, so that all children have access to specialist coaching, as well as for running FREE After School Sports Clubs to increase pupil access and participation. As a result, some children who were afforded the opportunity to attend Taster events, subsequently joined local clubs.
- Maintenance/ replacement of PE equipment as required: In consultation with pupils and staff, additional resources were obtained for use within PE lessons , as well as for some playground equipment.
Future funding will look to develop CPD opportunities for staff and to purchase additional teaching resources to support their high-quality delivery in PE lessons, as well as to increase the range of Sports activities available for children.