At Backworth Park Primary School, we believe that literacy and communication are key life skills and that it is our role, through the English curriculum, to help children develop the skills and knowledge that will enable them to communicate effectively and creatively with the world at large, through spoken and written language. Through a love of reading that is embedded within our school, we strive to help children to enjoy and appreciate literature and its rich variety.
Aims and Objectives:
As a school, we aim to promote high standards of language and literacy by equipping children with a strong command of the spoken and written word, and to develop their love of literature through widespread reading both across the curriculum and at home. As a school, we aim to ensure that all pupils:
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding;
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information;
- acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language;
- appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage;
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences;
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas; and
- are competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate.
English Overview and Policy
Our Reading provision aims to equip pupils with the skills and knowledge necessary to read fluently and confidently while developing a love of reading that allows pupils to draw on knowledge of the world around them.
Backworth Park Primary School uses Read, Write, Inc to deliver the teaching and learning of phonics. A systematic approach to targeted Phonic Phase teaching, supports the children’s acquisition of core words and vocabulary and teaches them to blend and segment to read and spell words. Children in Key Stage Two use a banded reading book system, which develops comprehension, fluency and a love of reading.
Our Writing provision aims to equip pupils with the skills and knowledge necessary to become confident writers who can form, articulate and communicate their ideas effectively.