Values and Ethos
At Backworth Park Primary School:
Our values can be summed up in our vision as:
Children learn our values and can discuss what they mean. We apply them across all contexts in school.
- We aim to provide a broad and balanced curriculum in a secure and stimulating environment, where learning is creative and enjoyable.
- We encourage all our children to fulfil their potential and give them equal opportunities in all curricular activities regardless of their sex, race or special needs.
- We believe in providing opportunities for learning through first-hand experiences in and beyond the school environment.
- We seek to develop the whole child physically, socially, emotionally, spiritually and morally and encourage attitudes of curiosity, responsibility and independence which help pupils become caring members of society.
At Backworth Park Primary School, we recognise how important it is for every child to have excellent attendance. By attending school regularly, children are able to access all of the learning that they should as part of their entitlement. It is also much easier for them to be part of a social group and have appropriate social skills.
We try to work positively with parents to achieve excellent attendance and, where necessary, put strategies into place to improve attendance.
At Backworth Park Primary School, our high standards of behaviour are consistent with and reinforce British Values which are defined as:
- Rule of law
- Individual liberty
- Mutual respect
- Tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs
These values are taught explicitly through Personal, Social, Health and Emotional (PSHE), Spiritual, Moral, Social & Cultural Education (SMSC), Relationships and Sex Education (RSE) and Religious Education (RE). We also teach the British Values through planning and delivering a broad and balanced curriculum.
We take opportunities to actively promote British Values through our assemblies and collective acts of worship, as well as our whole school systems and processes, such as electing and running a School Council, The Board of Backworth. British Values are actively promoted through ensuring that our curriculum planning and delivery includes real opportunities for exploring these values and includes challenging pupils, staff or parents who express opinions contrary to fundamental British Values, including ‘extremist’ views.
Please also see British Values in 'Key Information'